The Seniors' Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) answers questions and counsels Medicare beneficiaries and caregivers about:
- Medicare Pilot and Demonstration Programs
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plans
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Medicare & Medicaid Billing Errors
- Medicare & Medicaid Fraud and Abuse
- Other Health Insurance Concerns
Callers to the toll free number can talk to a trained volunteer counselor about their Medicare and insurance concerns.
The program was created in 1986 by North Carolina Insurance Commissioner Jim Long. Since the program's creation, SHIIP has become a role model for other states. SHIIP has received two national awards for "innovative" and "exemplary" service.