Problem Resolution in Long-Term Care Facilities





If You Have a Problem, What Do You Do?

When a problem occurs, whether large or small, it is best to try to work it out with the residence staff if at all possible. Sometimes residents and families are concerned about voicing complaints. They are afraid of retaliation by staff. However, a person's well-being and quality of life are at stake. How, when, and who you talk to may make a difference in the responses that you receive.

  • First, familiarize yourself with the facility's grievance policy.
  • Lodge any complaints in writing.
  • Be specific about your complaints and your expectations for resolving them.
  • Request written follow-up within a specified time frame.
  • Take your concerns to the staff member having the authority to address them. The Administrator or Nurse Supervisor might be the appropriate staff person.

If the problem is not resolved within a reasonable amount of time or if you just don’t feel comfortable trying to resolve it with staff, try your local long-term care Ombudsman Program. The Ombudsman Program is a national program offered in every state. Typically, there is a state Ombudsman and Ombudsman within each Area Agency on Aging. They can offer informal complaint resolution. They also provide an impartial voice and they are trained to know what your rights are living in a long-term care facility.

Please note that your state Ombudsman will probably refer you to your local Ombudsman.


Every state may have different legislation, rules and regulations, and authorized problem resolution agencies. Your Ombudsman will know what agency to call and how to access help if a formal complaint should be filed. Ombudsmen in all states will be able to help you with informal problem resolution.



NC Problem Resolution in Long-Term Care Facilities in NC



    Bookmark and Share